Who We Are
SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) is a free program offered by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs and your local Area Agency on Aging. Specially trained volunteers can assist you with your Medicare, Medicaid, and health insurance questions by providing one-on-one counseling and information. SHINE services are free, unbiased, and confidential.
The SHINE program supports the Florida Department of Elder Affairs’ mission by providing free and unbiased health insurance counseling through a dedicated network of volunteers, empowering Florida seniors to make informed health care choices.
Need a Resource? Contact Us.
Find enrollment events in your area.
Make a Difference
Volunteer for SHINE!
The SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) Program provides health insurance information and free, unbiased, and confidential counseling assistance to Medicare beneficiaries, their families, and caregivers.
What is Volunteer for SHINE All About?
As a SHINE volunteer, you serve your community by performing at least one of the following funcitons:
* Provide Medicare and health insurance information, counseling, and assistance in person or over the phone
* Deliver educational presentations or speeches
* Distribute educational and promotional materials in your community
* Provide training and leadership to other volunteers
* Assist with general program support
What Benefit Do I Receive Volunteering for SHINE?
* Professional training from the Department of Elder Affairs and your local Aging and Disability Resource Center
* Opportunities to learn new skills, meet new people, and gain knowledge about Medicare
* Personal fulfillment from helping others
* Pride from being part of an award-winning team
How Do I Get Started?
* Contact SHINE to complete a volunteer application at 1-800-96-ELDER (1-800-963-5337)
* Complete an online volunteer application at www.floridashine.org
* Complete our comprehensive Online Orientation at http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/doea/SHINEVolunteerOrientation/story.html
* Join other community members in completing SHINE Training
* Agree to uphold the integrity of the SHINE Program